Monday, September 20, 2010

I believe in the constitution people

It is really starting to get to me how often I hear the "catch Phrase" I believe in the constitution. Implying that because we have different views on things that I don’t believe in the constitution? Well I hate to break it to you, but the constitution is an interpretive document. Much like the bible it can be interpreted many different ways and your way isn’t necessarily any better or worse than mine just different. Another thing, this bumper sticker type rhetoric of "this is/isn't what the founding fathers would have wanted" is wearing thin. You didn’t know the founding fathers personally so you don’t know what they would or wouldn’t have wanted plus they differed greatly on the issues of their time but they worked together. I can say that our founding fathers where intelligent enough to realize that the issues that they faced would be different than the issues that we face now and different than the issues that will be faced 100 years from now. And in my opinion that’s why the constitution was written the way it was. As an interpretive document it can be interpreted to fit the situations faced at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment